Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Top 100 Favorite Songs of the 2000's (Part IV)

Hey kiddies,

Hope you enjoyed the first real installment of the list. On to songs 90 through 81...enjoy!


SONGS 90 THROUGH 81


90. Amy Winehouse, "Tears Dry On Their Own" [2006]

It's my responsibility/And you don't owe nothin' to me/But to walk away I have no capacity

Wino croons over the backgrounds to "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"; gorgeous music results. (And only one dirty word!)


89. The Dead Weather, "Treat Me Like Your Mother" [2009]

You blink when you breathe and you breathe when you lie/You blink when you lie

I'm not a huge fan of Jack White but I am a huge fan of this lyric -- and many others in this ridiculously unpredictable song, the most recent one on this list.


88. Snow Patrol, "Take Back The City" [2008]

It's a mess, it's a start/It's a flawed work of art

First time I heard Snow Patrol's latest album, I correctly predicted that "Crack The Shutters" would be a hit. But "Take Back The City," the first single, is the definite highlight of the record and was a big radio hit in its own right.


87. Pinback, "Fortress" [2004]

Summer is only winter with you/How can you really feel?/Two of another, none of a pair/Nobody move, nobody move

I have never watched "The O.C." That is all I'm going to say.


86. Breaking Laces, "Shack Up SOS" [2005]

Save our souls/It's better that you move/Save our souls/Where's the damn remote?

A great mix of acoustic and electric elements, ambiguous lyrics, a killer chorus...this song has it all. And nobody knows about it.


85. Dave Matthews Band, "Dreamgirl" [2005]

You're like my best friend/And after a good, good drunk/You and me wake up and make love after a deep sleep

Subpar album, great leadoff track and single. The year 2005 (and in fact, the entire Stand Up album) generally marked the point where Dave's voice wasn't what it used to be, but he grunts and growls like Springsteen here and makes it work.


84. Beyonce feat. Jay-Z, "Crazy In Love" [2003]

Got me lookin' so crazy right now/Your love's got me lookin' so crazy right now

And that is the most infectious refrain of the decade. Also, this song began the process of Jay-Z putting a ring on it (see #70 in tomorrow's entry), and of Beyonce becoming the biggest R&B star on the planet.


83. Modern Skirts, "September Days" [2005]

Anticipating the shadows changing week by week/I've been painting the windows of your hotel

Made infamous at The College of New Jersey by Big Larry dancing to it during WTSR's Valentine's Day broadcast in Eickhoff Hall, circa 2006.


82. Interpol, "Slow Hands" [2004]

We spies, intimate slow hands/Killer for hire, you know not yourself

Around the end of 2003 or beginning of 2004 was when I really started to open up to the whole alternative/indie genre. This is one of the first songs I latched onto, still my favorite Interpol track.


81. Ted Leo + the Pharmacists, "Me And Mia" [2004]

Do you believe in something beautiful?/Then get up and be it

For me, one of the staple songs of the middle part of this decade. A really cute-sounding song on the surface, a beautiful song once you dig deeper into it. And a good end to this section of the list.


Come back tomorrow for #'s 80-71! And let me know what you think about things so far...

-- pl

2 comments:

  1. I remember Big Larry dancing to "September Days..." That's crazy.

    I agree with "Shack Up SOS." Good stuff that's totally unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy in Love was my brother's wedding song. No joke.

    -T

    ReplyDelete